Muppets Book News

tales of a sixthThe new Muppets movie is coming out in November.  Personally I can’t wait.  I grew up on the Muppets and this movie looks like it will be an excellent addition to all the others.  With the movie’s release it was announced that Little Brown will publish seven new  Muppets books.  Most of these books are your typical Movie tie-in’s, some with stickers and punch outs, but that is not what is interesting.  Along with these comes a late elementary/early middle grade illustrated novel by Kirk Scroggs titled Tales of  a Sixth-Grade Muppet.  The basic premise is that a boy wakes up one day to find that he has turned into a Muppet.  I’m not really sure what to make of this book, it’s not your typical product promotion title and it certainly has a very unique premise.  Scroggs certainly has the skills to pull this off shown with his Little Brown series Wiley and Grandpa’s Creature Features.  With that series appeal to third grade boys who also like Captain Underpants, this book certainly has potential to fill a what to read next niche for younger boys.  However I’m going to reserve full judgment until we see it, but this is certainly a very interesting move that changes the way I look at books based on trademarked characters.