Top Young Adult Picks for 2012

After lots of reading in 2012 here are my my top 10 young adult books of 2012 and my top five sequels.

Cat Girl’s Day Off by Kimberly Pauley – A fine mix of mystery and fantasy with a multicultural cast of characters.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein – One of the most innovative and powerful books I have read in a long time.

Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan Sonneblick – Sonneblick does it again with a heartfelt tale of a boy not only losing is passion but his beloved grandfather as well

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green – Keep a box of tissues handy for this beautiful story of a romance between two teens who have cancer.

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) by R.L. LaFevers – A complex fantasy featuring real historical people and assassin nuns! What more could you want?

Guitar Notes by Mary Amato – Two very different teens find their love of music binds them together.

The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine – You know about the Little Rock Nine, but you may not know about what happened after, this story gives you that information contained in a sweet story of interracial friendship.

Scarlet (Scarlet #1) by A.C. Gaughen – Robin Hood with a twist.

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo – There are some books that just catch you and hold you tight till the end this is one of those books with a great setting and interesting characters who face dark magic.

Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe by Shelley Coriell – Shunned by her friends Chloe finds new friendships amongst a group of misfits.

Sequels:

The Girl In the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2) by Kady Cross — A steampunk standout with powerful women who wield fantastic technology.

Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth – An action packed ride about two teens trying to change their dystopia.

Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2) by Lish McBride – Laugh out loud funny about a boy who is trying to figure out his powers as a necromancer.

Perception (Clarity, #2) by Kim Harrington – Psychic Clare gets embroiled in another mystery.

Princess of the Silver Woods (Princess #3) by Jessia Day George – A reenvisioning of Red Riding Hood where the princesses have to face an old evil.